Tips for winter driving in Toronto
The City of Toronto and other municipalities issue severe cold advisories when the temperature dips below 20 C without windchill.
Tips on how to stay safe include keeping away from downed wires and trees that may have an electrical charge.
As driving conditions on untreated roads can become very hazardous, motorists and pedestrians are advised to exercise caution and adjust travel plans accordingly.
Other tips include:
• Residents should report flooded roadways, non-working traffic signals and other road and sidewalk problems and damaged trees on City property.
• Stay indoors. Work from home, if possible.
• Keep pets indoors.
• Check on elderly neighbours and others who may need assistance.
• Take public transit. If you must drive or cycle, proceed with caution.
• Clear catch basins to help prevent flooding on roads.
• Use salt or ice melting products on sidewalks.
Posted: Dec 3, 2014