Many newcomers set up small businesses and as business owners, they are always looking for an advantage over the competition.
Many are finding out that hiring apprentices is one way to stay a step ahead of the pack.
The Ontario College of Trades has put together a list of five reasons why hiring an apprentice might be a great way to grow your company.
1. It’s smart business. According to a Canadian Apprenticeship Forum report, employers receive a benefit on average of $1.47 for every dollar invested in apprenticeship training. By training an apprentice to your own standards and best practices, you can mould apprentices to ensure they are a good fit for your company’s needs and culture.
2. Apprentices are eager to contribute to a successful company. And when you pair experienced, certified skilled tradespeople with enthusiastic apprentices, you give them the opportunity to absorb the knowledge and expertise that will enable them to do good work for your business.
3. Through college courses and other training programs, apprentices are up-to-date with the latest technology. This means that they can not only hit the ground running, but also contribute new and fresh ideas to your company.
4. Apprentices are more productive. They make fewer mistakes and have better health and safety records than outside hires, says the Canadian Apprenticeship Forum. Apprentices can help your business build and sustain a dynamic workplace.
5. It pays. The Ontario government offers an apprenticeship training tax credit up to $10,000 available to employers who hire and train apprentices in certain skilled trades. For more information, check out collegeoftrades.ca or earnwhileyoulearn.ca.
The Conference Board of Canada reports that the Ontario economy is on the upswing, which means that competition in the skilled trades industry is going to become robust. Hiring an apprentice is an effective way to ensure your business maintains a competitive edge.
– News Canada